Sunday, May 23, 2010

An "Off" Day for Photography







I was excited about adding some photos to this morning's message. I had certain specific spots in mind. I took the photos and looked forward to downloading them. Then I discovered that my camera was on the wrong setting and they were all nearly black. So, i salvaged a few as well as I could. The Fiddleneck was just beginning to bloom along Lee Road near the mill in Quincy. This is about two months after they bloomed down on Table Mountain, a couple thousand feet lower. Also, they don't grow quite as big at this elevation. The pink and white beauties may be "pinks" of the carnation family. They are a cultivated flower growing in the garden in front of Morning Thunder. There are several varieties there, but this was the only photo I could rescue. The large patch of yellow flowers are a group of aquatic buttercups growing across from the Quincy High tennis courts. I said to my son that it was a little village of buttercups and he replied, "More like a metropolis," so that's what I named it. The poppies along Lee Road were not yet opened because it was such a cold morning. I got what I thought was a great shot of an unopened snapdragon, but it came out totally black. Will try again tomorrow morning. Finally, one of my favorite weeds, Bachelors Buttons - bottom two photos - were growing out of cracks in the sidewalk near Morning Thunder. It may surprise you to know they are very close relatives of Star Thistle - same genus in fact. This coming week may have intermittent rain, so my enthusiasm may not return until next weekend. Enthusiasm for photographing flowers, that is. Maybe I'll try some indoor tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment