Friday, August 2, 2013

Upstaged by a snake

 Thursday morning I set out to visit roadside attractions I'd visited often ever since last spring.  I wanted to keep up with what was still blooming, what new bugs might be visiting, and what was going to seed.  Maybe try a few different perspectives and improve on previous shots.  Then, when I picked up a concrete disc and found a garter snake (previous post) I immediately had to post that and temporarily forgot all the interesting things I saw before the snake.  Here they are now, beginning with two views of a blooming Star Thistle.  The architecture of this flower and its support structure amazes me, even if it is an invasive weed.  So am I!
 The Common Madia are still blooming strongly every morning along Quincy Junction Road and closing up before noon.
 Other interesting critters uncovered along with the Garter Snake include plentiful Earwigs ...
 a Wolf Spider with an egg sac...
 some sort of Ground Beetle, a variety of others that were too fast for me.
 In a flower garden on Bell Lane, I found this black beetle trying to get into several different species of flowers including the not-fully-opened Zinnia shown here.  I didn't stay long enough to figure out whether it was seeking food or shelter.
 This small green Grasshopper seemed mesmerized on the stem of a thistle.  It didn't budge even while I too several shots from only 8 inches away.
 The black beetle again, this time on some Spearmint.

No comments:

Post a Comment