Friday, August 16, 2013

More sightings from Wednesday afternoon

 Text later tonight. Well, I didn't make it that night.  It is now Sunday night.  I hope my memory works.

I always stop by the large patch of Tansy just East of the big green water tank in Boyle Ravine.  A week ago, the dominant insect visitors were Ambush Bugs.  On this particular day, I saw none of those but there were lots of Skippers.  The one pictured above clearly sows what a skipper i.  Click on the photo for a closer view and note the curved hooks at the ends of the antennae.  Also note the wing position.  There are also growing gatherings of these skippers on the Rabbittbrush just outside the main entrance of the FRC library building, AKA the LRC.
The next point of interest was a lone Blue Elderberry bush.  These seem particularly sensitive to local conditions, not just point in the season.  I have seen them in many stages around American Valley from freshly blooming flowers to green berries to ripe blue berries to berries shriveled and/or fallen or eaten.  This one, on a north-facing slope and in the shade seems to be a full month behind the ones in the sun out by Oakland Camp.
When we returned from our hike, a few bugs in my lawn caught my eye.  This grasshopper is buried in a weedy patch so you can't tell it's actually a lawn from this photo.  As you know, I like letting some weeds survive in my lawn because it promotes biological diversity, AKA naturalist entertainment.
On a Red Clover, also in my lawn, I got what may be my best yet photo of the Pacific Ambush Bug.  Note those big front legs.  Reminds me of Popeye.

No comments:

Post a Comment