Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Journey Home


Yesterday, while hiking near Donner Summit, I was looking forward to seeing the photos I took on the way there early that morning.  In the area between Mt. Tomba and Blairsden, there were great patches of Blazing Star blooming.  Before I could prepare my photos from the "journey there" I glanced at my friend Spencer Dykstra's blog and sensed that we had been in similar moods with our photography, so I'm posting here three photos taken during my journey home this morning.  Compare these with Spencer's recent post at Spencer Dykstra Photography.  Click on Expressions Blog to see his recent back-lit photo of a flowing plant blooming on Table Mountain.  These three photos of mine were taken at the edge of Sagehen Creek between Truckee and Sierraville.  There's something about fall colors, before they get intense and attract rubber-necking tourists, that is subtle and appealing.  Without the distraction of bright reds and purples and yellows, one discovers the many shades of green and brown.  It reveals why a serious sketcher or painter of nature wants to have a 120-color set rather than the 12- or 18-.  In elementary school, my crayon set had only one green.  Now my colored pencil set has 6 shades of green and I wish I had 12.
So, now I have to go back in time and post photos and describe what I saw between "the journey there" and the "journey home."

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joe,

    It is the same feelings passing through, the last few times I have been on TM there has been no one else. The season is missed by so many. There is so much more going on, its just has to be the right time of day.

    By the way, excellent Ed Abbey reference.

    Cheers

    Spencer

    ReplyDelete