Friday, June 7, 2013

Encounters with Nature in My Yard

 My front yard daisies have different visitors every time I look.  Yesterday morning I spotted what I thought was a tiny clump of dirt on one of the daisies, but then I thought I saw some movement.  If you click on any of these photos, you'll get a better view than I had.  Two tiny beetles mating, together were only about an eighth  inch wide.
 I got closer and tried from different angles to get the best available lighting.
 I guess I got too close because they separated and sat still, outlasting me.  I hope they got together again.  I then moved back toward the house and found a freshly dead mole.  The Broad-footed Mole, to be precise.  Sadly, I think he might have been a victim of one of our cats.
 Then I found an injured Alligator Lizard limping across our sidewalk.  It was an amazing blue and green color, almost iridescent, unlike the more common brown.  Then I spotted the culprit.
 Our playful cat was interested, but I put the lizard under cover before any more damage could be done.
I beginning to see more clearly how Thoreau could spend a lifetime discovering and writing about natural phenomena within a few hundred yards of his home.  Something new is revealed every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment