Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bugs in Mind




First installment for the day. It's relatively warm and rainy this morning, the kind of day that often causes some bugs to emerge to see if it's really spring. My camera hopes so. Stay tuned....
Until I get to wander around a bit in the rain, here are a few from my archive. Top photo is a swallowtail, I'd guess a Pale Swallowtail, Papilio eurymedon, on a Leopard lily, Lilium pardalinum, photographed in a swampy spot along the trail that skirts the eastern edge of Bucks Lake. Second and third photos are of the Red Milkweed Beetle, Tetraopes basalis, to me one of the prettiest of the Cerambycid family, also known as long-horned beetles. These live out their lives in and on milkweed plants, in this case the Showy Milkweed, Asclepias speciosa. If you try to research this one on the web, you will encounter confusion, on some sites, between this and the Red Milkweed Bug, illustrated here ion a recent post. The bottom photo is of the beetle that kids love to "bug." Its response to being prodded is usually to raise its rear end and squirt a mist that, up close, is rather awful, but from a certain distance can be quite pleasant. Sort of like cigarettes.:) This is a Tenebrionid beetle, most likely of the genus Eleodes sp. Now I'm off to look for bugs on my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment