Sunday, July 4, 2010

More Milkweeds and....






The three milkweeds that are common around Quincy are the Showy Milkweed, Asclepias speciosa, the Heart Leaf Milkweed, A. cordifolia, and the Narrow Leaf Milkweed, A. fascicularis.
A. speciosa and A. fascicularis are pictured here and A. cordifolia has been posted here earlier. All three have been traditionally put in the milkweed family, Asclepiadaceae. Recently, however, they have been placed in the dogbane family, Apocynaceae. The fourth photo from the top is Spreading Dogbane, Apocynum androsaemifolium. It and the Indian Hemp, Apocynum cannabinum, are typical of the Dogbane family. These five plants have useful fibers and allegedly have many medicinal properties as well. As a naturalist, I especially like the fact they tend to be "bug magnets" in that they attract a wide variety of beautiful insects such as the clerid beetles, longhorn beetles and many different butterflies and moths. They are also toxic to humans unless used in certain ways under supervision. The bottom two photos are here because they were among the prettier sights on my walks this past week. The Goldenrod Crab Spider on a cluster of Poison Hemlock blossoms is one of my favorite "bugs." The bottom photo is a Sidalcea sp., either Checker Bloom or Checker Mallow. IT started blooming around Quincy a month ago and is now blooming in the Lakes Basin. It, too, attracts lots of pretty beetles. Happy flowering!

1 comment:

  1. Was blog browsing when I came across yours Joe. Love the insect and butterfly images, bit of a bug photographer myself. Got dragged into it by my Son who is a Paleo Entomologist. He is currently working at the Natural History Survey at Champaign Illinois, but I am hoping he will return to the Uk next year, I miss him. Saw him last week in London as he was over here for a conference. Please visit my blog and tell me what you think. `it is all about photography and I hope to entice lots of photographic people to visit. Best wishes and keep blogging more insect shots too Kev

    ReplyDelete