Saturday, July 24, 2010

Finally, Tamer Ctenuchas






After several days of finding one or two of these moths at a time, always too wary to let me approach closer than about 6', I decided to put on my telephoto and try again. To my amazement, they were swarming the Pennyroyal - 15 or more in a small area - and they were not so shy. I got to within a foot without scaring them off and was able to use my standard, 55mm lens. More photos and observations will be posted this evening. Beautiful creature, and I haven't been able to find out much about it on-line - yet.
Sunday a.m: I've added more photos of this great-looking moth. Too many? Two summers ago I was enthralled with my newly-discovered Red Milkweed Beetle, then later, the Goldenrod Crab Spider. These two had such a visual impact on me that I couldn't get enough photos. Every time I walked near their chosen plant hideouts I'd poke around in the leaves and flowers hoping to capture the ultimate pose for a photo. In the case of the spider, I eventually got a series of one eating a robber fly or bee. Now this summer's find, the Ctenucha moth, has grabbed my attention. When they land on the Pennyroyal, they crawl around nervously, constantly flickering their wings. At first, I described them as having shiny black bodies and wings and a red head. On closer inspection of the photos, I guess you could say "red shoulders," and the body is blue. In only one of the photos is the body exposed. I never noticed that when watching them alive. The limited info I've found on the web so far doesn't associate them at all with Pennyroyal, yet that's the only plant I've found them on. More searching ahead. Dear Readers, if you find info on this moth, I'd appreciate your sending it along. In the coming days I'll be looking for egg-laying and maybe a caterpillar or two.

2 comments:

  1. Terrific photos! I know nothing about the moth but look forward to learning from your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is the Red-shouldered Ctenucha, Ctenucha rubroscapus
    See http://bugguide.net/node/view/62612/bgpage

    ReplyDelete