Wednesday, July 5, 2017

The Chase

 There's a bit of a glaze, but it was exciting to be able to photograph a family of wild turkeys without getting out of my chair.  It was one of those times that I kept the camera close by wile grading papers in the office at FRC.  I sneaked outside as quietly as possible, but these birds don't stay alive by being careless.  By the time I got out the door, they had already disappeared around the first corner.
 When I got to that corner, made famous recently by the presence of a rattlesnake in the retaining wall, I barely got off a camera shot before the babies rounded the next corner.  The parents were well ahead of them.
 When I got to the next corner, I spotted the mom part way up the hill waiting for the babies.
A few more steps and I was able to get the whole family in one shot before they disappeared into the forest. Very nice experience, made possible by the near absence of humans.  Seeing this on the day after Independence Day reminded me that the turkey was once under consideration for our national bird.  Maybe now it should be the Dodo.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete