Sunday, July 16, 2017

Are books natural?

 Currently, my blog has become a stream of consciousness kind of thing.  I'm still trying to catch up on posting photos and thoughts from last weekend's trip to the coast.  Meanwhile, a whole week has gone by back in Quincy and I've done some wandering and photographing and thinking here.  As I said earlier, the destination following our drive down the Mendocino and Sonoma County coasts was "bookstore heaven" from Pt. Reyes Station to Corte Madera and San Rafael.  Always one to enjoy the simpler things, I appreciated hearing a Spanish speaker pronounce "reyes" as a two-syllable word as it should be.  AS we were preparing for this trip, I fantasized about bringing home a box full of books.  It turns out I only bought two (pictured here) and regret passing up one other.  The two I bought and the one I passed up were greatly influenced by the authors' experiences of nature.  I love the feel of a book in my hands - much more than the "feel" of the laptop I am now using.  I wonder if books are more natural than computers.  One can approach this question superficially or deeply.  Either way, "nature" and "natural" are human constructs.  When I get home where the Internet speed is pathetically slow, I will add some narrative about what influenced me to buy these two books and why I regret passing up the third.  For now, I am sitting outside a cafe with very high speed Internet where I could add each photo to my blog in 15 - 20 seconds, a process that can take as long as 5 minutes at home.  So, until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment