Friday, April 10, 2015

Butterfly Season

 At least five different kinds of insects have been visiting the healthy crop of Dandelions in my yard, but the arrival of butterflies is what made it feel to me like Spring.  Just a few blocks away toward downtown Quincy, beyond the shadow of Claremont Mountain, one could say Spring has been around for a month or more.  The tulips are blooming in front of Patti's Thunder Cafe, while mine are still in green buds.  Lilacs are blooming along Main Street while mine are barely in bud.  So, as I continue to enjoy living in the Cold Spot, especially in July and August, I did get excited when the Painted Ladies (above) arrived on my Dandelions.
 When I got a close-up of this Housefly, I reflected on the adage "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."  I guess there's some sort of moral message in there about "niceness."  However, it has been my observation that you can catch even more Houseflies with poop.  Not sure what that means.  Probably nothing.  I don't enjoy swarms of flies any more than the next person, but contemplating a singe fly, close up, one has to admit that, like all insects, it's a marvel of biological architecture.
 The last of the day's Dandelion visitors before a sudden drop in temperature was this Honeybee.
As I headed back to the house after this photo session, I noticed the shadow cast on my fence by a patch of Grape Hyacinth.  Click on any of these photos for a closer view.  Happy Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment