Monday, February 4, 2013

A Little Winter Greenery

Feather River College is at the same elevation as my home, but the huge California Black Oaks on campus are on a south-facing hill that receives at least five or six hours of sun per day at this time of year while my front porch receives none!  The snow in my front yard has solidified to ice and is still a foot thick, but the oaks I photographed today have no snow on the ground around them.  So, as I visit the college each day, I love to see the greenery beginning to show.  The mistletoe is an evergreen, but on a sunny day it seems greener than usual.  I'd even say cheerful. 
I was going to crop out the contrail in the lower left corner, but it reminded me of a quote from Henry David Thoreau.  "Thank God man cannot yet fly, and lay waste to the sky as well as the earth." Looks like God let him/us down.
A variety of mosses and lichens are coming to life again at the bases of the large oaks.
The fish ponds on campus are a good place for reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment