Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Good Day for a Walk in the Woods

Had the first meeting of my Nature Journaling class today on the campus of Feather River College.  Due to the lack of snow, we were able to hike the Nature Trail at the edge of campus.  Viewed a large stand of California Black Oak that had been maintained by the Maidu by controlled burns, and a stand of pines and firs that had an impressive canopy overhead.  Saw a few good-sized Sugar Pine cones, but none as big as the one I'm holding here. I think we collected this one on Claremont Mountain that forms the southern border of Quincy in the American Valley. 
It is NOT too late to join the class.  Please phone Feather River College at 283-2022 to sign up or e.mail me at blackoaknaturalist@att.net.  Tentatively planning next Saturday's meeting near Bear Creek Falls in the Feather River Canyon near the rest area below the tunnels.  Phone me for details at 283-1746.  I'll bring registration forms for those who can't get to Quincy beforehand.  The course fee is $75 for six Saturday morning sessions.   Another six-week session will follow, running from March 24 through mid-May.

No comments:

Post a Comment