Thursday, August 11, 2011

Amost 9,000 Feet!










For years I've marveled at Peavine Peak near Reno as I looked up at it while passing by Bordertown. Because of its location, I've always thought the views from the top would be great. Well, yesterday I got a chance to visit another peak, Babbitt Peak, and look down on Peavine!
The fly above was photographed inside the lookout. It wasn't exactly the most memorable sight of my trip, but will serve to reserve this space for more photos and text that I'll try to post tomorrow. Today was just too busy with leading nature hikes and attending the county fair and my writers group. The flies living at nearly 9,000 feet are kind of scary looking.
Fri., Aug. 12: As we left Quincy Wed. afternoon for Babbitt Peak, I realized I hadn't headed eastward out of Quincy for a couple of months. As we passed the Massack rest area, I saw lots of Blazing Star on the road cut, but the blossoms had closed for the afternoon. I vowed to come back the next morning to photograph them while open. When we gained another 1,000 feet or so and were in the vicinity of Mt. Tomba, we found another patch, but they were still open! (See the 2nd and 3rd photos from the top.) A beautiful flower - I'll probably put it on one of my greeting cards. In the same spot we found some great examples of Snowy Thistle and Purple Milkweed (Photos 4 and 5). I realized I'd better not make any more tops or we'd never get to the lookout before it closed for the evening. That plan was dashed as we crossed Sierra Valley on Harriet Lane. Some of the wet areas near Loyalton were loaded with waterfowl such as the White-faced Ibis, Avocets, Killdeer, and various ducks. I've finished this series with a photo of the Babbitt Peak lookout, to prove we got there. Great views! Tomorrow I'll post a few photos of the wildflowers we saw on the way up the mountain, especially in the area known as Jones Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment