Thursday, July 23, 2020

Amazing Tiny Things

 Click on each photo to see close-up. I wasn't even in a photography mood yesterday when I was meandering around Oakland Feather River Camp, but who could resist these little ornaments hanging from a leaf of the Narrowleaf Milkweed, Asclepias fscicularis? It turn out they are the eggs of the Green Lacewing. Their relationship to the plant and the aphids that also frequent this plant, is quite fascinating, as is the process of depositing the eggs in the first place. I leave it to the curious reader to find out more. These milkweeds are perenniels, and I try to follow them through their annual cycle every summer.  I manage to find something new nearly every time.  For instance...
this amazingly cute little spider.  She's all of a quarter inch long, and kept going to the backside of the stem every time I approached with the camera.  I must have more stamina because she eventually quit trying to dodge my approach and I got this shot from about 9 inches away. Haven't found this particular one in my bug manuals or online, but I suspect it's one of the jumping spiders, Family Salticidae.I

No comments:

Post a Comment