Monday, July 6, 2020

Two Weeks ago

 Two weeks ago, on a Monday, we decided to take a high-altitude hike and see how I would do as I continue to improve my fitness after a medical emergency a year ago. During the month of June, I managed to go on many hikes involving hills, hot, dry temperatures, and altitudes around 6,000 feet.  Not world-class challenges, but for a guy going on 79 in a couple of weeks, I feel very satisfied.  The hike in questions began at the Packer Lake Saddle campground in Sierra County, near one of the more popular trails to the summit of Sierra Buttes. But we heading in the opposite direction, away from the Buttes, to one of our favorite destinations, Deer Lake. Along the way, we met a nice couple from San Jose who agreed to take this photo of us with the Sierra Buttes in the background. We reciprocated, taking a photo of them with their camera. I didn't take a lot of photos on this trip, and didn't see any seasonal "firsts," but I have a few in my growing archive that I'll post later.  First, I need to catch up on my early July adventures, especially hikes over the weekend of the 4th as well as a short trip I took this morning.
Deer Lake is one of the most beautiful settings in the county.  Every time I see it, I have a flashback of the day I first discovered the lake over 35 years ago.  I was actually swimming in the lake after a steep hike up from Salmon Lake Lodge when a low-flying small plane kept dipping over the lake.  I had the distinct feeling I was about to be strafed.  Then the place dropped thousands of shiny particles that looked like pieces of aluminum foil.  Very scary as I headed for the shore, wondering if something toxic or explosive was being dropped on me.  Why me?  I paid my taxes!  Later I figured out it was a DFG plane dropping hatchery-raised trout in the lake. Relieved.


No comments:

Post a Comment