Monday, June 15, 2020

Excitement at the "Wye"

 Last Friday I was heading west on Hwy 70, hoping to get to the Caribou Road turnoff and then the Mosquito Creek crossing to photograph Stream Orchids.When I went down there a couple of weeks ago I saw no evidence of them, figuring maybe I was too early, or, perish the thought, something had afflicted them. It's the only place where I've ever seen an abundance of them (in previous years). Just before getting the the Greenville Wye, I realized I would not have time for Plan A and still get back to town for an appointment I'd made. So, I parked at the turnout just above the sandy beach popular for launching rafts and kayaks. Only found one interesting plant down by the beach, a lonely specimen of Grass Pink, and delicate non-resident member of the carnation family. Then I walked through the intersection onto the Greenville Road to check the rocky area overlooking a large pool and cascade, a place where I've spent many an hour in early spring, usually looking for the Elegant Rock Cress and a few other plants before the place becomes too popular with rattlesnakes. I just

 happened to glance across the highway at the base of the cliffs where several years ago I found one specimen of Stream Orchid, pictured here.  I saw a large crop of yellowish-green leaves that puzzled me.  I crossed over the discover the largest crop of Stream Orchid I've ever seen.  The two photos above are a sampler of the several dozen I took. A subtly beautiful flower. Most of the blossoms were already wilting, but I got a few lucky shots of ones that still looked fresh.  I then crossed over to the aforementioned pile of rocks overlooking the pool on Indian Creek.  Saw my first adult Fence Lizard of the season, or, I should say the first one that didn't get away before I took the picture.  This one let me get really close.
Still struggling to find the time to catch up with narrative to accompany a few recent posts that currently have only photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment