Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Catchin' Up...Hopefully

My excitement over the delayed arrival of Spring has me going on many local photography adventures and running out of time to generate the intended text to accompany the photos.  The above photo of a member of the Gentian family - locals call it Monument Plant - is an example of a find that excites me. [I've been corrected. See comment below. It's Frasera albicaulis. At least I got the family right.] I now have a backlog of several weeks' worth of photos and notes in my daily journal, so today I hope to go back to several recent posts and add some text (explanations?). However, I'm not sure I can resist grabbing my camera and heading for the woods again today. It's already warm and sunny.
By the way, if there's a "real" botanist out there, can you confirm this is a species of Swertia? My Jepson is over 30 years old and my plant anatomy skills are rusty. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Joe, haven't talked to you in a long while. "Swertia" is an older name. This looks like
    Frasera albicaulis, although a picture of the whole plant would help. Whitestem frasera. See https://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=11694 and https://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/eflora/eflora_display.php?tid=26069

    ReplyDelete