Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Delightful discoveries

Over the past 10 years or so, I've been trying to photograph every Plumas County wildflower i could find. My life list at this point is somewhere over 300 species.  On most days wandering around the woods and roadsides within a few miles of Quincy, I don't see anything new.  That's especially rrue with recent travel restrictions for various reasons.  However, this past week I've seen three species new to me.  The above photo, I believe, is Western Blue Flax.  Spotted along the Pacific Crest Trail within a few miles south of wherre it crosses the Quincy-LaPorte Road.
In the same area along the PCT I saw an abundance of Kellogg's Lewisia, a relative Bitterroot. Both of these plants seemed fairly abundant along the trail, so they are not rare at all .. Just rare to me in my limited travels. More importantly, they add great beauty to the trail.  I make a point of not hiking too fast to notice them.
THe last new one for me is the Twinberry.  I saw these along the trail in Valley Creek Special Interest Area, a few miles west of LaPorte. During the spring I often complained that Spring wasn't really beginning and I was seeing fewer wildflowers than in most years.  However, during the month of June hundreds of species are blooming and I am having a good time again hiking with my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment