Tuesday, January 7, 2020

I've traveled widely in Quincy

 Borrowing a quote from Henry Thoreau, who "traveled widely in Concord," I just happened to choose a different parking space on my way to my office.  This gave me a whole new perspective.  Instead of the "view" from the driver's seat being a sign reading "Faculty Parking Only," I was enthralled by my view of a large White Alder surrounded by the variety of other trees that characterize our campus.  Immediately behind the Alder was a Black Oak, and bother were then backed by a mixture of Incense Cedar, White Fir and Douglas-fir. So, I got the camera (AKA phone) out of my pocket and moved in for a closer look.
 The clusters of female cones (foreground) always bring back memories of my model railroading days when I used these Alder cones to adorn my home-made, scale model pine trees.
 Then the male cones, which are similar to the catkins found on oaks and birches were also photogenic.
 On my way back to the parked truck, evidence of Black Oak and Ponderosa Pine on the pavement caught my eye. I resisted the temptation to pick up the acorn shell and practice my whistle.  It was too cold to take off my gloves. 
 Another piece of evidence of the California Black Oak, Quercus kelloggi, was the inspiration for this blog, now 14 years old.
Finally, as I walked across the "green" [I usually avoid the paved pathway], I found this lone Alder beautifully framed by a panorama of FRC's major tree species.  The place where I love watching Ravens and various squirrel species come and go and wild turkeys seeking cover, just in case they think I'm hunting for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment