Sunday, September 2, 2018

What I Saw at Dellinger's Pond today

 A beautiful insect; that's all I'm sure of.  When I look at the pahes in my field guides dedicated to bees, wasps, bee-like wasps and wasp-like bees, I get dizzy.  For me it's a lot like looking at little-brown-birds-that-all-look-alike.  At first I thought it might be a Cuckoo Bee, then I switched to Golden Digger Wasp, then I gave up.  I don't have enough entomology knowledge or guidebooks to go further.  But it was a beautiful sight, the colors contrasting with the light purple of the Spearmint blossoms.  My short walk along the dam that creates the pond revealed a number of other interesting sights that I'll post soon.  Lots of Tansy, for instance, but no Assassin Bugs and other insects I'm used to seeing on Tansy.  I think I might have got one good photo of a Skipper on Tansy, though.  I'll sort through what I have and post a few.  It was a busy morning as I also drove up to the PCT crossing on LaPorte Road and gave my son and daughter-in-law a a ride back to Quincy after their hike from the Highway 49 crossing.  Got some good photos near Nelson Creek.
 Click on any photo for a closer look.  Then click just outside the left margin to go back to normal size and where you left off.
Right after taking this photo I found some ripe blackberries and indulged a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment