Monday, September 3, 2018

Flowers Tougher than I

 On this hot Labor Day, I thought I'd take a break from desk work and go photograph some airplanes.  Too hot for them, I guess.  There were none.  So, I decided to walk around one of the hangers and photograph wildflowers.  It was 96 degrees F, and I was beginning to wilt right at the start.  But the flowers, which are supposed to be the ones wilting, looked quite fresh.  The end-of-summer survivors.  The above Poppy was lonely, but still looked fresh.
 The wild Sweet Peas are the ultimate survivors along our roadsides at this time of year.  Must have deep roots.
 California Wild Mustard doing OK.
 I still haven't ID'd this one, although I suspect it's in the mustard family, Brassicaceae.
 Another variety of Sweet Pea.
 THe Lone Gumplant on this walk was still doing OK and had lots of insect visitors.  Maybe they were flying fast to keep cool?  At any rate, I didn't capture any on camera.
 I take back what I said about Sweet Peas.  Star Thistle probably deserves the honor of ultimate survivors.
 Most Daisies are long gone, but there were a few fresh-looking ones on the north side of a hanger in the shade.  Looked "fresh as a daisy."
 Chicory still looking fresh.  Same insect situation - coming and going too fast for my shutter finger.
In partial shade, near a place where water is often dumped, was a dense group of poppies of another variety than the first one in this series.  I'm back in the shade now, and am not anxious for another hot walk like this one.  At the very least, I'll wear  hat next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment