Sunday, May 27, 2018

My complex lawn

 I've walked by this blooming Oxalis (Yellow Wood Sorrel) several days in a row with thoughts of photographing it, then getting distracted.  Today, with the return of the Sun, I decided to make my move.  Just a couple of shots, then back to finishing my school work.  But "knowing how way leads on to way" I wandered a bit and discovered why I hate to mow my lawn.  It's not that I resist the exercise.  It's because I know my lawn hides wonders.  Here's a brief sampler.
My plant ID skills have slipped this part winter, and my eyes aren't as sharp, and I rarely carry a magnifying lens with me.  So, I invite botanists' help with the above flower.  Very tiny.  Smaller than the photo, actually.  Could it be Brooklime or a gentian?  All I know is there was a patch of at least a few dozen and I don't want to mow them down.
My Dandelions are hosting these busy little beetles, maybe 1/4" long and mating like crazy.
While photographing the Dandelions I was startled by the first Chorus Frog I've seen this season. although I've been hearing them for a month.  He calmed down quickly and stayed in my open hand for a few photos.  This is now Pseudacris regilla, but not too long ago the field guides all had it as Hyla regilla, Pacific Coast Tree Frog rather than Chorus Frog. When I was studying back East, I saw lots of different tree frogs and chorus frogs that were easy to tell apart.  This west coast species seems to have characteristics of both.

Click on any of the above photos for a closer look.

No comments:

Post a Comment