Monday, May 21, 2018

How can we call this a weed?

Asclepias cordifolia, Heart-leafed Milkweed.  Not really a negative appellation, but often treated as a nuisance.  Think of the more common prefixes of plants whose names are built on "weed."  Bindweed and burrweed for example.  For me, it's hard to imagine a more beautiful flower than those of the several species of milkweeds found around Quincy.  And I say this on the same day I photographed the Mountain Lady's Slipper and the Spotted Coral Root.  The above specimen is of the Purple Milkweed, or Heart-leafed Milkweed, which is in full bloom in the area around Oakland Camp.  The nearby Narrow-leaf Milkweed, Asclepias fascicularis, was showing early buds, and I think it will start blooming in another week.  Their flowers look like the above, but are much smaller and lack the purple.  Following them by another week or two will be the Showy Milkweed, Asclepias speciosa. 
What fascinates me is the approach-avoidance conflict we seem to have with these plants.  Some people plant them in gardens to attract butterflies, and even call them Butterfly Weed.  But when they grow too close to pavement, and the weed eaters come along, everything goes.  During these past few years where I live, it seems that the weed eating has intensified.  This could be my imagination, but when I look at my past several years of blogging around this time of year, I finding many of my favorite photography spots are devoid of my favorite subjects.  Always looking recently weed eaten, the flowers are often replaced by beverage containers and shotgun shells. Being a weed myself, I have a lot of empathy for all the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment