Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Old Keddie Highway

Our Sunday adventure on old logging roads in the Southpark area got my spring wildflower energy going.  I then drove to the Old Keddie Highway to see what I hoped would help me forecast what I'd see down the Feather River Canyon in another day or two. I didn't see Shooting Star where I expected, and the first notable photo op was this patch of fungi about ten feet above the road.  I-net speed very poor right now, so I'll try again later to add a few more photos from that loop.  Then, it was onward to Golden Eagle Avenue.




 I've been seeing a few blooming Shelton's violets here and there but hundreds of leaves emerging.  In another week or so there should be carpets of this species blooming.  Today I'll check the college nature trail for them.
 I haven't identified this fungus on Old Keddie Highway, but it seems like Flapjack Fungus would be a good name.
 A few leaves of Phacelia have emerged on the roadside cliffs near the entrance to the Keddie Cascades Trail.  Should be quite a show as spring progresses.
My favorite at these same cliffs is Sedum.  Some early leaves of Larkspur are showing up on the grassy slopes above the cliffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment