Thursday, April 5, 2018

Butterfly Creek

 I made a stop at the junction of Hwy 70 and the road to Butterfly Valley hoping to see the first shoots of Umbrella Plant (formerly known as Indian Rhubarb) and maybe some Milkmaids.  None yet, but I did get fascinated by the willow buds, especially when I found this pair of bugs courting.

 I'm not sure if these bugs are going after just the pollen, but this photo make it look like they're going after the entire flowers.  I didn't have time to stay for closer observation, but found the scene photogenic.  I'll be checking this spot often after the anticipated rains this weekend. 
The hated thistles are among the most beautiful weeds.  Their peak season for blooming comes after most of the spring wildflowers have gone to seed, so this spot provides interesting photography opportunities well into the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment