Saturday, October 3, 2015

What was going on a year ago?

 During the first weekend in October, 2014, the Oak Treehoppers were active, as they are now.  But, I
 was way behind in my firewood splitting.  I found these cedar rounds photogenic, so I took a break and got my camera.
 I then wandered down the driveway a bit and found these huge fungi erupting through the pine needles.  The second one pictured here got a little assist from me.  I saw a mound forming in the pine needles, so I carefully scraped some out of the way.  In a matter of days, there were 6 or 7 of these large beauties in the area, probably all parts of the same fungus connected beneath the surface of the ground.  So far this year, there's no sign of them, but I do think I'll go check this afternoon.
 On my way back up the driveway, the sun broke through a hole in the clouds and I got one more nice shot of the Treehoppers.  I decided to play with them a while.
 These last two photos show their size from another perspective and show that they are not to be feared.


No comments:

Post a Comment