Saturday, December 25, 2010

Organic?

In my aesthetic there is usually a huge chasm between anything "of nature" and most things man-made, especially the highly technological. But humans are always bridging the gap, getting inspiration from nature for various manufactured goods. So, it shouldn't surprise me that once in a while I'll stumble across a scene in the hi-tech world that reminds me of things natural. Such was the case when I was moving some firewood and got a close look at the pattern of welding on my wife's mountain bike. I don't know if this constitutes good welding to someone who knows welding, but, to me it was beautiful and reminded me of a volcanic lava flow and of patterns created by throwing a pebble into a smooth pond, or the protective casings created by certain sea worms or caddis flies among other things. Beauty is wherever you find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment