Thursday, March 25, 2010

"Shooting" on a Rainy Day



We had snow last night down to around 3,800', just a couple hundred feet above my house, on Claremont Mountain, then it rained all day today. Didn't expect to take any photos, but driving Old Highway, near Keddie, I couldn't resist. Two photos here of Henderson's Shooting Star, Dodecatheon hendersonii, a member of the primrose family, and the bottom photo is one I didn't see last year and am not familiar with it. My first guess is that it's a member of the mustard family, Brassicaceae, of the genus Cardamine. If someone out there knows better, please let me know. They were out in profusion on pine-needly banks above the road. I'll check on them on the next sunny day and confirm or correct my ID. They were very pretty, as were the shooting stars. In the same area there were lots of early leaves of violets which should be blooming in another week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment