Thursday, March 11, 2010

Biology vs. Geology redux









(11:00 a.m.) Had to preserve this title until later tonight when I can add the photos. Builds a little anticipation, no? (8:45 p.m.) Can't shake this cold. Was very inspired today after listening to Desmond Tutu on the car radio. More about that later. Got to work and suddenly had another coughing fit, couldn't continue my work, so I left for home - coughing. Stumbled across incredible beauty - first a great blue heron in a field, then a magpie on an electrical wire. Took some photos, then stopped at one of my all time favorite spots, the Greenville Y. I stopped, ostensibly to photograph plants, but was overwhelmed by the varied rock formations. I remembered a conversation with my geologist friend, Derek Lerch, in which we discussed what appeals to us in Feather River Canyon and he mentioned how he likes Nevada because there's not so much vegetation in the way of seeing the rocks. Of course, I'm the one always seeking out the vegetation. Well, today, I saw so much beauty, both biological and geological, that I got into a serene state of accepting it all that reminded of Desmond Tutu's description of how he almost died of TB when a teenager. He coughed up blood and thought he was going to die. Then, suddenly, he accepted that possible fate and felt extremely serene. He wanted to be a doctor, but he told of how and why he got diverted to the ministry. Well, my cold isn't so bad that I thought I was going to die, but I was definitely frustrated by it, and being immersed in this natural setting put me into a kind of trance. I took 105 photos, and I am anxious to share some of them here, but it'll have to wait until morning. I'll post one before I close, though. Make that two! I've got to at least reflect the theme of this post. [Click on photo for close-up.] The top photo, especially, reminds me that all the vegetation is made of just rocks and air!
(8:00 a.m., Fri., 3-12-10) Added most of the remaining photos. Reflecting on the spot at Greenville Y, I realize the incredible diversity of life here. The dominant scene is the confluence of Indian Creek and Spanish Creek, with varied rocks from sedimentary, tilted at odd angles, and beautiful granite and many crystalline structures I don't know about (need geologist friend). There are some puddles left behind from winter's high water filled with filamentous algae and lots of intriguing invertebrates, and virtually every plant phylum from ferns and mosses to flowering plants, both gymnosperms and angiosperms. What still lie hidden until warmer weather are all sorts of frogs, salamanders, snakes, and lizards - seen in past summers. At this time, a fallen, rotting log such as pictured above, is an obvious winter home from which I anticipate new animals emerging over many weeks as the weather warms. Some more photos will be added this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment