Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hope Springs Eternal....





Since I'm constantly yearning for spring, I couldn't pass up the pun potential of this quote from an Alexander Pope poem, which is titled "An Essay on Man" I decided to re-read the poem which is quite remarkable in many ways. Many allusions to nature, especially weeds. I'm a weed lover, so he was preaching to the choir here. His many allusions to God and/or the creative force apparent in nature are clearly those of a person steeped in the creationist environment of the day, yet honestly questioning. If he'd lived during Darwin's day and after publication of the "Origin," I think he would have readily become a "fellow traveler." [That last phrase possibly a dangerous one to use here:)] So, after weird weather yesterday and a new dusting of snow during the night, my hope for spring is intensified. I've already photographed the first wildflowers to emerge around Quincy, so I do not look forward to more snow - unless perhaps above 5,000'. Today's photos are of the most beautiful alligator lizard I've ever seen. A tail longer than its body with no evidence of injury or prior loss. This is the same guy I photographed in my son's hands and posted earlier here. The other photos are of turkey tail fungus that is prolific in my former home in the redwoods, but occurs here, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment