Monday, May 23, 2016

Warm Fuzzies,,,,

I drove out to Oakland Camp yesterday afternoon to see what I could see.  I had low expectations.  Just wanted to get away from grading essays for a while.  My first stop was by the small stand of Mountain Ladyslippers a short distance past the bridge over Spanish Creek.  As I kneeled down to take a few photos, I heard a voice from deeper into the woods.  Something about Ladyslippers and Coralroot.  I walked up hill to see who it was.  A young, well-equipped photographer was photographing Ladyslippers, some specimens a little less covered with pine pollen than the ones I was photographing.  We chatted a while, and I discovered he had driven here from Redding to take these photos.  I asked how he knew they were here.  he said a natural history blog by a guy named Joe Willis!  That's me!!!  He thanked me profusely for this and other tips he had found on my blog, and he gave me his card.  He's a REAL photographer.  Check out his work at www.wildmacro.com.  His name's Tim Boomer.  His photography is better than mine.  As I remind my followers from time to time, I'm a story teller interested in all things natural.  I supplement my stories with adequate (I hope) photos and sketches, but I know that several of followers and friends are much more serious photographers than I am, and I love to point people toward their work.  Another, who comments here from time to time, is Spencer Dykstra.  After exchanging "warm fuzzies" with Tim, I drove on down the road and got lots of interesting photos.  It's the one above that gave me the idea for the title of today's post.  The bee on a blossom of Checker Bloom looked warm and fuzzy, but I decided not to test my hypothesis.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing week…first, I meet a famous naturalist and then he mentions me with kind words in his blog! I’ll add that to my growing list of things for which I owe Joe Willis profuse thanks. :) If I could just make one humble correction, I actually live in Rio Vista in the California Delta. That’s right, I drove nearly eight hours round trip just to see and photograph some orchids. Was it worth it? Definitely. It was a pleasure to meet you, Joe. I will be in touch. Cheers, Tim

    ReplyDelete