Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Arachnids and Myriapods


I'm looking through my photo archives and journal entries, making final plans for the contents of my book, "A Crack in the Sidewalk." Since it's been cold and rainy today, and most of the colorful leaves have fallen to the ground, I decided to share a couple of my favorites from last summer. The Goldenrod Crab Spider has been featured on this blog often, but this is one of my favorite photos of it in its white phase. Same patch of Yarrow where i photographed the yellow phase beuaties that appeared here a week ago. It takes them several days to change from white to yellow or vice versa, so it's not of much use as camouflage. Theory is they are trying to be noticed, perhaps mistaken for flowers so when bees or other flying insects come in to pollinate they zap them for a meal. The scorpion and pair of immature millipedes were found in the lower Feather River Canyon by peeling some bark off a downed tree. Remember, you can click on any photo here for a close-up. Click twice for more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment