Saturday, April 25, 2009

Getting Blogged down...?

I've been having a great time editing some 500 wildflower images for my CD, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to use this one of Leopard Lily on the cover. I've got 135, more or less, species of Plumas County wildflowers in my archive, am planning a narrative to facilitate identification of our most common species. It'll be backed up by some great guitar instrumentals by my son, Greg. My goal is to emphasize the beauty, the role in the environment, and the periodic visits by amazing-looking bugs, and go light on the technical information. Will supply a printed booklet to assist with scientific names and provide references for further study - for those inclined to study! I'm just loving getting down on my knees, sometimes in mud, and discovering new angles and details in flowers that I have often taken for granted, or not noticed at all. Focusing on creating a CD has intensified my curiosity, and with a growing list of flowers that are familiar to me, the thrill of an occasional new discovery is all the greater. Besides aiding visitors in discovering the beauty of our county, I love digging into the etymologies of both the common and scientific names - and discovering interesting and sometimes bizarre names like "henbit deadnettle" and "birthwort." Sun's coming out again. Got to get my camera and run. Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment