Monday, May 25, 2020

Memories of Flowers and Bugs, Part I

I was surprised to see Farewell-to-Spring blooming this early on my way to Gilson Creek from Oakland Camp.  I don't remember the year, but the day I first photographed this plant then learned what it was, was the last day of spring, probably ten years ago. It's Clarkia dudleyana, the genus name from William Clark of the Lewis and Clark expedition during the Jefferson presidency. It's cousin, Clarkia rhomboidea, or Diamond Clarkia, should be blooming soon.
Over a week ago, this specimen of Purple or Heart-leaf Milkweed, had but one blossom.  Now it has a few more, but all the ones in this particular spot look rather emaciated, possibly from the several recent years of drought. Asclepias cordifolia.
The Showy Milkweeds in this same area and mostly just showing leaves and a few have buds. They should be blooming in another week or so with the hot weather forecast. Asclepias speciosa is host to many bugs, famously the Monarch butterly. Click on this photo and you might spot a tiny beetle to the right of my thumb.
I came in a little closer.for this shot. The beetle was only about 1/4" inch long. i haven't yet identified it.
One of my favorites is the beautiful Small Milkweed Bug which I've seen on all three local species of Asclepias. This one was probably busy sucking juices from the leaf as it did not run away as I approached.  Buds forming to the right of the bug.
The Blue Gilia are already plentiful  Many of them are white at this time so they are hard to spot in areas of tall grass and other weeds. The more typical blue specimens are easier to spot.
A new one to me this year is the Meadow Lotus, Lotus oblongifolius. The large patch I spotted in a meadow off Chandler Road was beyond a barbed-wire fence, but I found a few at the edge of the pavement. It's in the Pea family, a legume.  The family name used to be Leguminosae but is now Fabaceae. Reason for the name change is explained in an earlier blog post.

There's a Part II to this brief adventure. I'll post the photos and text later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment