Sunday, April 5, 2020

Nature from the Driver's Seat


 It's been a while since I last found the time to post to this blog, so I'm out of practice.  I forgot my password, and I forgot some of the steps that used to be automatic. For over a week I have dithered
about a more serious post "inspired" by the glut of news about COVID-19. It's sort of an intimidating subject. Now that I seem to be succeeding with posting photos I took this morning during a rainy drive around American Valley, I might be ready to tackle the big subject.  If so, that will be followed by a series of posts on a lighter note - namely signs of spring; flowers blooming, bugs crawling, etc. The above photo is of two of my favorite huge trees at Gansner Park which borders Spanish Creek


On an embankment just behind where my truck was parked for the first photo were clusters of Lupines, not yet blooming, but looking ready.  By the way, I have no idea how this photo popped over to the left margin.


Further downstream on Spanish Creek are a couple of turnouts giving access to some favorite swimming holes.  From one of them, I got this shot of the muddy, rising water of the creek.


Next stop was Golden Eagle Avenue, the entryway to Feather River College.  I found it ironic to see a welcome sign hanging while the college is closed to all visitors, and even staff (me) except for a select few needed to keep the college running for online education. I didn't venture far beyond the sign before heading out to Quincy Junction Road to inspect other creeks.

Here I've stopped at a turnout on Chandler Road on the north side of the single-lane bridge over the point where Spanish Creek and Greenhorn Creek converge.  I could only see Spanish Creek from this view.  I did venture out onto the bridge on foot to take a photo that  included both creeks, but I didn't post it here because it would have conflicted with my theme.


Last, but not least, I ventured out toward Oakland Feather River Camp and shortly after crossing the low bridge across Spanish Creek, I paused over the culvert that carries Berry Creek to join Spanish Creek in another 30 yards or so.
Followers of this blog may recall past posts in which I've mocked so-called nature lovers for photographing fall foliage or any other natural phenomena from the front seats of their cars.  I now feel humbled.  I just didn't want to get wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment