Wednesday, October 16, 2019

What I Saw Today

Every morning, just before sunrise, I am reminded why most Native Americans traditionally have the entrances to their dwelling facing East.
 It has taken me a couple of months to get back to this mid-October post that I abandoned after posting only the above photo of a sunrise as seen on my way to a local coffee shop. It is now January 5, and I plan on posting more this year on the theme what what I see early in the day that sets my day in motion. The Dogwood trees on the Feather River College campus are mostly still showing bright red foliage at this time of year, but there are either different varieties of cultivars and/or different soil types that may account for the huge differences in coloration.  For instance, the tree in the photo below is only about 15 feet away from the one shown above.
 This panorama of trees along the paved walkway to the upper campus always impresses me. I bright red-orange California Black Oak stands out among the surrounding evergreens that include some California Incense Cedar, White Fir and Douglas-fir.  I little further up the hill is a small stand of Black Cottonwood.
 Another thing I enjoy following is the work of gophers fighting back against our (but not me) attempts to eliminate them - after having provided them with ideal conditions for expansion.  The well-watered and fertilized green area hosts lots of gophers, deer, and wild turkeys.  Great fun to watch before the morning human traffic picks up.

No comments:

Post a Comment