Saturday, October 6, 2018

Transition time

 I almost titled today's post "The Last Daisy," but I know there must be a few here and there around American Valley, but this one stood alone along the pave path up to the main campus at FRC.
 Nearby was a small stand of end-of-season Mulleins. A beatiful flower when viewed up close, even though it's seen as a weed by most.
 What came to mind when I looked up from photographing the Mullein was imagining a determined gopher racing the women to class.  It wouldn't surprise me if their underground route was just as fast.  I know it will be after the snow flies.
 Around 100 yards away, one or more other gophers seem to have established an underground network.
 While I enjoy spotting the last of certain flowers, it' also exciting to see some firsts, like these fall mushrooms. I hope the Orange Peel Fungus returns this season.  Certain landscaping projects seem to have wiped them out at my favorite viewing spots.  THey are certainly easy to spot when they emerge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment