Monday, December 21, 2009

Enjoying the Solstice with My Favorite Bug

In the vicinity of noon today the real reason for the season can be felt by those who still spend a significant amount of time out of doors and pay attention to the sky and other signs of the seasons. The critter pictured here, photographed last spring, is my favorite "bug," and she is probably a foot or more below the surface now, dormant for a few more months. But, I wonder if she can feel the change? The days get a tiny bit longer and the nights shorter, and soon it will be spring again, my favorite season.
I also love the Mexican name for this magnificent insect, La Nina de la Terra. Far more friendly than potato bug. It still "bugs" me that when you google a critter like this you mainly get pesticide and exterminator web sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment