Saturday, October 29, 2011

Spring Forward

I've been discovering little micro-climates around my home as the season of freezing nights and early morning frost moves in.  Sometimes a dark-colored wall, or an evergreen shrub captures enough sunlight and converts it to radiant energy and in a small space spring-like conditions occur in a place that is mostly still freezing.  So, on a 28-dgree morning, I tipped over a 1"x6" Douglas-fir board and found what looked like alfalfa sprouts.  They were undoubtedly some species of weed that grows in that part of my yard every summer.  The gravel actually felt warm to the touch while the neighboring gravel that was not covered by the board was still covered with frost.  I love finding the worms, insects and spiders that are able to find these places, take advantage of them, and remain active for a few extra weeks while their neighbors either die or become dormant for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment